Bowery Mural

"It's a very powerful thing to be quiet and collect your thoughts"

Monday 12 November 2012

Quiet. Shy. Introvert. Mouse. The list of words to describe myself could go on.

Last week I was put into a situation where I had to explain my quietness, because someone can't handle the fact that I don't want to tell all and sundry what I did at the weekend or what I had for my breakfast that morning in general chit chat (it was a bit more than that but i'm trying to tell you in simple terms).

I felt like my quiet nature was for the first time being used against me in a way to justify the way I was being acted towards. In a bad way.

As a natural born worrier this totally played on my mind all weekend to the point I was beginning to question myself and my nature and my whole being. Not good.

Then I remembered an article I'd read via a link posted on Twitter. (There's no point in me linking it here because they've taken it down but it was a excerpt from a book on introverts by Susan Cain. The article was entitled Why The World Needs Introverts (I believe she did a TED talk about this too called The Power of Introverts). Google it. no wait, here's the link.

Anyway, I'm fed up being classed as hard work just because I don't engage in certain conversations, or give you every single detail of the weekend just passed or that I may not be the one with the quick funny retorts in a chat. That is not me and never has been me.

I am Angela. I am an introvert. I'm also shy when I don't know you. I'll never come up to you and chat freely if i've never met you. However i will listen if you come and chat to me. I mean really listen, not that pretend listening that say an extrovert might do when they've not got a clue what you've just said, they're just planning their next in to your conversation. That kind of listening I can do. I'm never going to be the life and soul of any party but I really do like to have fun.

When I get to know you I can be as chatty as the next person, with you, one on one. I respond well to people who are genuine and take the time to get to know me by not giving up on me after the first encounter. And most of all I am a good person.

Yes, i'm quiet. Yes, I could also be labelled as shy. But don't ever call me aloof or grumpy or hard work because you don't know how to talk to me.

“It’s a very powerful thing to be quiet and collect your thoughts.” Susan Cain.

I had to say my piece there.

Angela x

.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Leave a comment! I read them all x