Bowery Mural

2013 in my shoes

Wednesday 1 January 2014

It was some year, so it was. I think I said at the end of 2012 that I wouldn't be doing review posts or new years resolution lists anymore. Scratch that idea. I've come to the realisation that to get things done you just have to write them down. So, for Christmas, I got a brand spanking new crisp clean white squared paper Moleskine notebook. In that notebook I plan on trialling bullet journalling. What's that i hear you cry! Well I didn't know either but I found a pin on Pinterest that lead me HERE. Have a look. It's a bit complicated and non-digital but I'm giving it a go. You gotta give it a chance don't you.

Anyway, 2013. Here's my year...

In January I got two teeth out and had a brace fitted in February. I learnt a new teeth brushing routine complete with mini brushes. Switched from Colgate to Oral B toothpaste. Got a really early or really late Christmas present when mum discovered an all singing all dancing electric toothbrush in her wardrobe from last year. Yay for clean teeth! (and 11 month late presents).


Bought dainty little knuckle rings. Discovered that when you wash your hands they might fall off and get lost in the towel you dry your hands with. Dumped the knuckle ring wearing, for now.

Bought one dress. A yellow one from Zara.

Attended one wedding, at which i wore the aforementioned yellow dress.

Came to realise the only way to watch a TV series is to get on it by indulging in a catch up marathon session (most likely over several weeks but hey it beats waiting years on new seasons to air). Hello BREAKING BAD on Netflix!!

On the other hand I got ever increasingly irritated by the lack of anything in Homeland. Now, series 1 was a grower for me. I ducked in and out, then re-watched the whole series on More4 before series 2 hit. In series 2 there was an episode with Brody and Carrie in an interview room. The scene went for a good 10 minutes without a cut. Just the two main characters of the whole programme right there in a darkly lit room. It was the most special thing I'd seen on TV in a long long time. Then she stabbed his hand with something. Electric. Series 3, well I was really bored and disappointed with it. I even looked for spoilers of the last episode before i watched it. I wasn't that bothered. I don't think I'll stick around for series 4, and that pains me to say because i wanted to love, heck i wanted to even give a damn by the end, but i didn't. For some reason i just didn't.

Hands down Netflix is quite possibly the best thing I've spent money on this year. At time of writing I'm on series 4 of Chuck on Netflix after only 1 week. It's a great little TV show. I urge you to have a look. A few special mentions of TV programmes also to House of Cards (Kevin Spacey is exquisite) and Borgen (AMAZING!).

I discovered what a murmuration was and how very beautiful it can be thanks to @Mark_Bullock_ off of Twitter. Here's the video if you fancy a look.

I marvelled at Commander Chris Hadfield's wonderful shots of most cities and countries on this earth from the ISS. He is just brilliant.


Lifting weights became a thing for me. It really does improve your weight loss, ladies. Forget those shitty faddy weirdo diets, and pills. Eat less, exercise more. It really is that simple.

Saw lots of movies. Like, LOTS! Les Miserables being the first. Anchorman 2 being the last in 2013. I'll be posting about that later on.

Mumford and Sons sound-tracked most of my year. Accompanied by my adorable 4 year old nephew who knows all of the words and melodies. "I'm a genius" he declared on Christmas Day, and who am I to argue with that.

I bought shoes, I sold shoes. I bought some designer gear. It hasn't been on my body yet. Typical me, saving it for a 'good' day. Give yourself a talking to Ange.

Was inspired by various people on the Internet, for varying reasons. A stand out is Moneal. Another is Jules of Sincerely Jules. I also unfollowed a few. I just can't deal with bawheids.

I marvelled at sunrises and sunsets but not nearly enough. Will rectify this in 2014.

I drank too much Coca-Cola (it was that never ending summer search for a bottle with MY name on it!) #shareacoke That being said I also drank lots and lots of water. It works wonders (it doesn't really but i feel better after i do).


Waved off another cousin to Australia, but she's back in 3 months. FaceTimed for the first time.

Ate a McDonalds only twice and a BK once. Upped my broccoli intake though. Swings and roundabouts.

Ate less ice cream, but got a craving for mid year doughnuts. Hello Kripsy Kreme's new hotspot in Edinburgh.

Got a tweet from a hero! Thanks Dario Franchitti. And that is why I still love Twitter.


Glasgow became my second city of choice. Stirling will always have my heart.

Bought a new shampoo, my first new bottle in a year. It's still going strong. Discovered that £1 shower gel does exactly the same thing as those £14 Philosophy ones I used to buy. Daft.

Skirts increased ten fold in my wardrobe. 0 to 10 in 12 months. But I only wore about 1/4 of them though. Skirts will be the new trousers. Well, once a week maybe.

Felt kinda down with the realisation that people 10 years younger than me are buying houses at 10 times my salary. Cheered up a little knowing that I'm not tied to a mortgage and am free to go as I please once my financial situation improves. 2014 I'm coming to get you!

Compared myself to everyone and every situation this year. At years end I told myself STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS. Must stick to that advice from my inner voice of reason.

Got my hair done twice. Moaned about it twice. Curled my hair with tongs. Decided I'm going for the chop. Disclaimer: I have the right to change my mind at any given moment.

Embraced the brace wearing. Smiled more.

Embraced the autumn/winter tartan trend by recycling an old coat from 2 years ago. It looks amazing.

Embraced the notion that if I want something, I have to go out and fight for it. You really are on your own.

Watch out 2014. I've decided that my time is now.

Angela x

4 comments:

  1. Rule 1: never measure yourself with someone else's yardstick.

    Good post, HNY x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I will try very hard not to.

      Thanks for reading JW. Happy new year to you too! x

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Angela! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Happy New Year to you too. Hope it brings you joy :)

      Delete

Thank you for reading. Leave a comment! I read them all x